Hello From Washington State in the US

Hi Everyone,

I was introduced to this project through a Hackaday article. I live in the Olympic Peninsula Region of Washington State in the United States. I currently work at a small public school as a teacher. In my previous career, I worked in human factors and ergonomics and had/have a small consulting and prototyping business. Though it is paused now. I have a small shop about (175 m2) and a small amount of CNC and 3D printing tools. I grew up doing construction, electrical, and landscaping.

My family and I are in the very starting stages of planning for building our own house. I will be doing much of the work myself including the foundation, septic, wiring, and actual construction. I do have work experience with this and own most of the conventional equipment needed to do this, including heavy equipment. The only thing I am short on is a ‘fast’ CNC machine that can handle 4x8 stock.

I’m really interested in this project. I am sifting through documentation and I am thinking I want to make a 1:6 model on my laser cutter just to get a sense of this project. My general sense and hope would be to build a house that is about 16 m long, two stories, then have two one story sections on the bottom floor making a “U” shape for the first floor. This would allow one fence to make a small courtyard that would provide some protections from resident megafauna. It seems on the face this would also help strengthen the second floor. My back-of-napkin math says this would be roughly 200 - 230 m2. I am thinking 3 or 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms.

A couple of things I am curious about:

Is it in the roadmap to have a set of blocks designed around material sizes in the US? A couple of examples to follow. OSB 3/4 tends to be about 18 to 18.5 in size which is somewhat within tolerances you have built in but on the large size of those. The wall heights for wall blocks do not map onto sizes of drywall (plasterboard). Common wall heights are 8 ft and 9 ft which map to 2.4384 m and 2.7432 m. This is not the end of the world, but having wall heights which match the common sizes will keep time and cost down.

I am thinking though gutters and eaves. Is there a plan to have eaves and interior walls? 18" (457.2 mm) to 24" (609.6 mm) is a common length in our region. Gutters generally hang inset by about 1.5" (35.7 mm) from the roof.

Are there plans for interior wall blocks, both structural and nonstructural? My mental model for a nonstructural interior wall would be thinner and have the inset on both sides. Rather than being 250 mm thick, they could probably be between 100 and 150 mm. Also, is there any thoughts on junctions where an exterior wall section has a mounting point for an interior wall?

I apologize for all the questions and long introduction post!

2 Likes

Hey Jacob, welcome to the community! Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with manufacturing and building things yourself. Excited to see how your project turns out.

I have a plot of land in neighboring Idaho I’m hoping to build on one day, but that’s still a year or so out. I also recently came across wikihouse (a few months ago now) and have/had similar questions to what you’re asking. One in particular is a version in Imperial units, as I agree with you that having regular spacing for drywall sheets would go a long way to speed up construction and reduce material waste for US based projects. There is another thread on that topic here. Short summary, I tried to do that for one wall block but ran into questions about what assumptions I should be making. If you have any thoughts, I’d love to hear them.

I’ve also been thinking about eaves and think they would be a great addition. I know there is a new set of blocks coming out Thursday, maybe eaves will be included in the update?

1 Like

Hi Jacob and Irwin,

Regarding Metric to Imperial adaptation, I’m a seasoned plywood building system designer with over 4 years of experience.
I can confidently undertake the task of converting and re-nesting the Skylark system in Fusion 360. My expertise includes successfully adapting buildings into Imperial units for several houses.

Furthermore, I am adept at converting architectural drawings into structures that can be assembled using standard or customized WikiHouse parts. And collaborate seamlessly with architects, structural engineers, and WikiHouse directly to ensure optimal outcomes.

I’m organizing a spring trip to Idaho, USA, to oversee the assembly of a house currently in production for the company Ecokit.

Melchior Hof
B.Sc. Technical Engineer
WikiHome S.L.
VAT: ESB02681351
Paraje Fuente Aporta, s/n,
18420 Lanjarón, Granada, Spain
info@cnccasita.com
+34 633630472
www.didihomes.es

Greetings from Port Angeles :smiley:

I’m curious to learn about anyone in the USA whose gone through the process of using the wikihouse system to build their own home. I’ve followed the project off-and-on for years, and I’m curious about the price difference of building with wiki house in the current market. (more than traditional framing? less?)

Hi Brett,

Build Construx use a Wikihouse or wikihouse-variant system

1 Like