Introduction - Studio Apartments - Social Rent

Hi I am Ipeng from London UK. I have just discovered this product. I am developing an affordable housing model and interested in using this system for stackable studio apartments of 35-37sqm. I have a few questions:

1. Is the system capable of being mortgaged, for a loan?
  2. Does the standard separating floor construction comply with sound and fire insulation?
  3. Will this system meet Buiding Regulations in the UK?
  4. Is there anything already developed that will help me get off on a running start?

All advice will be well received and appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Ipeng, thanks for your enquiry. Your project idea sounds really exciting! Answers to your questions are as follows -

1. Is the system capable of being mortgaged, for a loan?
    Yes, the best way to ensure mortgageability is to get a 10-year structural warranty. Previous WikiHouse UK projects have gone on to have mortgages provided by Ecology Building Society (https://www.ecology.co.uk/).

2. Does the standard separating floor construction comply with sound and fire insulation?
    The Skylark system has been designed with single dwellings in mind, rather than multiple occupancy. That being said, it is still possible to create apartments using the system, just some thought will be needed. Skylark behaves similarly to a traditional timber frame. The separating floor block can be filled with a non-combustible insulation material and internal linings can also be specified as non-combustible. Acoustically, full-fill insulation in the intermediate floor block will really help, though the performance of this for apartments will need testing. For simplicity, another option might be to think of the apartments as individual frames, so stack one WikiHouse frame on top of the other, therefore totally separating the two apartments.

3. Will this system meet Building Regulations in the UK?
    Yes, the frame can be designed to meet thermal U-Value targets, and the frame is compliant as the primary structure for buildings under 11 metres tall. To be signed-off by your building inspector, you will need a structural engineer to run calculations and provide structural certification for the frame. Everything else required for compliance, such as the space layout and finishes, is free for you or your Architect to design to compliance.

4. Is there anything already developed that will help me get off on a running start?
    We can offer support to your project! We have some service offerings such as type design and chassis design. I’d recommend sending us an email so we can chat about your project idea in more detail and review what support service might be best for you - services@wikihouse.cc

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I would be grateful if we can review the project with someone from your support services. I have sent you an email with my details.

Hello Ipeng from Australia, We here have an acute sociol housing crisis across Australia.
We have had an idea, following on from Amber’s comment, to make the studios 2 and three storey within the one foo print where you only have to concerned with adjoining fire walls, which are easier to detail than floor to floor. We have issue with car ownership and parking in Australia, hence half the lot space is taken up with this!
I can send d you our workings if I can have your email address. Regards, Graham Osborne

Hi @wikihouseau / Graham,

Thanks for your reply to this thread. If you could send us an email at services@wikihouse.cc I can connect you and Ipeng by email.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.