Scale models

Hey Guys,

It looks like we lost all scale models from the Slack. I am going to address young audience at our local school and wondering it might be a good idea to take some laser cut models - WREN, BLACKBIRD or SKYLARK.

Do we have a git repo? Or downloadable links?

Thanks

Piyush

1 Like

Yes, let me have a look through the archive. Were they posted by you? Do you remember roughly when/in what channel?

Hi Mel,

I never created one hence I was just hoping I can access old ones that people has posted. if not then I will just scale it all down and cut it.

Thank you.

Hi @Piyush

I am in the middle of designing a 1/6 scale model (18 mm → 3 mm). I was planning on justing using the scale function on any CAD package. However due to the number of assemblies and subassemblies I’ve decided to use a small diameter end bit rather than a laser cutter. The sheet size for 3 mm is different to the 4x8 to so the parts will need to be renested before getting gcode. I’m more than happy to share the repo once it’s ready!

2 Likes

@Piyush please let us know how you get on with the local schools! Sounds super interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I co-created the old scale model channel on slack for wikihouse. Seems I’d have to pay to get access to the old archive records that were posted. Or is it truly the case that all posted scale models are not salvageable? I have my own server and non-profit hosting derivatives of wikihouse & open source ecology housing models. Most of my scaled wikihouse models for laser cutting should be hosted on the Open House Party server. Would you all appreciate a url link to the Open House Party repository? I would appreciate feedback on how to host engaging intangible public housing assets for production demos.

4 Likes

I would love access to some scale models! If there is a GitHub or other repository to host these I would appreciate it.

Doug

3 Likes

I too am looking to build some scale models. I am new to all of those. Can anyone point me to the type of material and type of CNC machine you would use?

Hi Mark,

We have cut 3mm Plywood using a Laser cutting machine capable of cutting 3mm material. Something similar to Laserscript LS6090 PRO CO2 Laser Cutter | HPC Laser

You can download any wikihouse model file, and scale down by 6. i.e. 18mm material will become 3mm. With a slight tolerance adjustment on the laser cutter, we have managed to cut ours. Our sample cut images are here Instagram-PulpBuild

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Wonderful, thank you so much !

http://openhouseparty.us:8083/projects/wikihouse-repository/work_packages/570/files

(go into files tab…zip file containing my scale models…inside is another zip file “updatedFiles” containing bird scale model for laser production)

http://openhouseparty.us:8083/projects/wikihouse-repository/work_packages

(wikihouse related repositories as work packages)

http://openhouseparty.us:13001/gitweb/

(git clonable repository I’m developing)

(Repository Process being developed)

Similar to projectkamp…

I’ll be releasing developments more publically as I’m funded… and indexing the work of other nonprofits like Wikihouse, Precious Plastic, Open Source Ecology, etc and other open source based companies like V1 Engineering’s CNC machines of which I rely on… I’ll be attempting to cut (scale) wikihouse parts with a 24W laser and/or cnc machine… Public financial support will help me to release my own derivatives…

1 Like

This is amazing! I am looking for a scale model to laser cut and build with students to help them visualize a larger project. I download and unzipped the updated files folder. Do I cut out WREN-1-small and cut out each file consecutively up to WREN-36-small?

Thank you! Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Greg

Greg,

It’s been a few years or more since I’ve looked at the files in depth. I can’t provide a confident answer immediately at this time.

I can inform you that over time the small (bird-scale house 1/16" thick) model and most definetly the regular (dog-house scale 1/8" thick) model will have more annotations, citations, and reviews as I run my program and workshops this spring-summer-fall 2024 with my V1 Engineering LowRider 3 CNC/laser mod.

I’m looking to integrate wikihouse community developments along with other related open-source technology dependent organizations that my work depends on. I’m also striving to maintain a youtube channel with updates. As I get into the swing of things I’d appreciate feedback on my youtube channel and will aim to cater towards engaged viewers and subscribers on my channel.

The following is the channel I’ll be striving to maintain updates with this 2024:
https://www.youtube.com/@openhousepartybychasmurill3272/playlists

The following is my store site as well as a link for donations to support my public advancements:

The following is my own community integration site (click Mario to explore the full forum):

1 Like

Thank you Chas I really appreciate it. I just subscribed.

Greg

1 Like

Does anyone have a 1/6 (or any other scale) designs for Skylark 250? I found the Wren files mentioned above but we will be using Skylark.

1 Like