Wikihouse software

I got news from Wikihouse via Instagram, and I what I see has given me a renewed interest in the project. The current state of the project is quite amazing.

I downloaded and took a peek at the Skylark design-kit for Sketchup. From your guides, I understand that also CNC cutting files can be downloaded from GitHub. I can agree that it might be the best solution to provide the DXF files for each assembly, as this is a time-saver, but still I wonder how these DXF files are produced. Have anyone in the community worked on software extensions for this?

From what I can see relating to Sketchup, it has been 10 years since anyone worked on something like an extension for automatic layout for cutting files. From what I recall, Wikihouse embraced parametric modelling in Rhino3D/Grasshopper after using Sketchup as a platform. Now I see that you offer design-kits for Blender and AutoCAD as well. From this forum, I also people using Fusion 360. It’s great that your mission isn’t tied down to particular software.

In your GitHub repository, I find that you mainly share design files and not software. On GitHub generally, it seems to be rather few recent software projects centered on WikiHouse. Maybe the Wikihouse project could also focus a bit on the development of software too? I suggest that you make a directory of software projects, for those interested in contributing to this.

1 Like

Hi @towi. Thanks for the kind words. We have been preparing the DXF files for the standard blocks in Rhino, mostly nesting them manually and then using a custom Grasshopper script to generate the 2D toolpaths with tolerance offsets.
You make a good point about assemblies, where on an individual project you or the manufacturer may choose to re-nest some of these sheets to save material across a whole order. It would be great if you or others know of handy software packages for doing this? Our immediate focus is on building on the standard library of blocks, as well as design patterns for the build.wikihouse.cc configurator, but always open to ideas about improving the usability of the cutting files.

@towi Also check this post by @lachlan about using Fusion to nest WikiHouse blocks

1 Like

Thank you for your swift reply. By chance, I just learned about the OpenCutList extension to Sketchup (Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse). A major upgrade for it is supposedly just around the corner too, with a new implementation of direct DXF generation.

Fusion 360 seems to have a nesting functionality buildt in by default.

Thank you for directing my attention to this video. I learned that Fusion 360 has some buildt-in nesting functionality. It makes sense, as I think it can also generate G-code.

I’m a professional WikiHouse and comparable systems designer proficient in Fusion 360.

Importing libraries from WikiHouse into Fusion 360 is seamless for me, allowing me to assemble entire buildings effortlessly. The significant advantage lies in Fusion’s advanced capabilities, offering not just nesting but also a state-of-the-art CNC programming package at the highest level. The use of well developed templates, allow me to program new assemblies in a blink.

In collaboration with an external company, we’ve developed an advanced library in the Fusion cloud while working on a self-designed building system. This approach has led to the successful production of numerous houses. An interesting aspect is our ability to collaborate with CNC companies globally, sharing and correcting cutting programs online.

I highly recommend choosing Fusion 360 over other CAD packages due to its comprehensive inclusion of all necessary design to production steps. From final element testing to technical drawings, rendering, animation, and assembly videos, Fusion 360 covers it all.

3 Likes